Knowing what to look for in a content management system will help you find the right one for your blog or company website.
Content management systems (CMS) are web applications that help in content creation, editing, updating and managing. It is a useful tool that most web developers use to alter and update the content of their sites without having to use as much effort as would be necessary without the CMS. It is also useful to people who have no programming and coding knowledge because it allows anyone to manage, create, publish and present their website content with very little effort.
A content management system is a platform which you can use to manage your website. There are many benefits to having a CMS website as it is easier to maintain and update. Basically, CMS websites are simpler to control yet they also allow information to be shared easily. The benefits of having CMS websites are numerous. For one, the look and feel throughout the website is consistent. The process of creating content is also smoother and there is already a system built for coordination of the processing and publishing of the content. Users also have the benefit of storing, organizing and retrieving content through CMS. Ultimately, CMS lets you save time, effort and money and increase productivity.
Here, we will present a list of the most important features of a CMS.
- A CMS must be appropriate to your website and how you use it to market and conduct your business. It should be in line to the design, creation and the presentation of the content that should be tailored to how you want your website to work. It should also be applicable to your target audience, potential customers and the industry that you belong to.
- When looking for a CMS, you should look for those that offer separate processes for content and design creation. This will enable you to edit one without having to change the other. The content management system should also be able to support not just text content but also videos, images, advertisements and other attachment documents in multiple formats.
- A good CMS will also have a robust editor that will facilitate content additions and changes for you. It should also retain previous versions of each page to help you track the changes you’ve made.
- A comprehensive search function is also a very important feature of a CMS. Visitors should be able to use the “search” box on your website and it must provide useful and relevant results.
- Another important feature is the ability to retrieve content from the past and the present. This is usually sorted by date and in order. Content management can also gather and consolidate customer feedback and customer communication. This can be done either internally or with the use of a third party plug-in.
- Some CMS’s also support multiple websites. This is very important especially if you are a web developer with more than one client or business. It can also offer multiple language support in case you want to go global with your website.